Support for Palestine
Our commitment as a company to tie climate action to climate justice remains at the forefront of the very foundations Canopey is built upon. Without ethics, it’s irrelevant how much environmental impact we have as we’ll just continue to prop up the colonial systems that birthed the inequalities we see across the world today.
As advocates for positive environmental action and climate justice, we cannot – and should not – ignore the devastating effects war has, not only on innocent lives but on the environment, too.
Our CEO, Thomas, has worked across the international human rights and environmental movement throughout his career, and as a founding team, we will continue to raise our voices in support of the people of Palestine.
We continue to pressure the UK Government to take action on the ongoing humanitarian crisis and international war crimes being committed in Gaza. It is more important than ever that this message rings true for climate-focused companies and organisations.
Canopey stands as part of a global movement of solidarity with Palestinians and supports the International Court of Justice in its ruling in support of South Africa 🇵🇸
❓ Why are we doing this?
- 👉 According to Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor, more than 30,000 have been killed by Israel in the Gaza Strip, including more than 12,000 children
- 👉 Nearly 70 percent of Gaza’s 439,000 homes have been completely or partially destroyed by Israel. This is equivalent to destroying cities like Boston, Helsinki, Rotterdam and Leeds
- 👉 According to the United Nations, the war in Gaza has left half of the population (around 2.2 million) at risk of starvation, and Israel is using starvation as a "weapon of war".
- 👉The carbon cost of rebuilding Gaza’s 100,000 damaged buildingswould generate 30m+ metric tonnes of warming gases – the equivalent of New Zealand’s annual CO2 emissions.
- The climate crisis is felt by people in these areas first. We need these voices. Otherwise, our work is meaningless.
What are we doing?
- 🤝 We continue to donate ⅓ of the revenue we make from sales to Save The Children.
- 🤝 You can also add an extra amount when you checkout which we’ll add to our donations.
- Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor: https://euromedmonitor.org/en
- International Court of Justice: https://www.icj-cij.org/home
- Human Rights Watch: https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/12/18/israel-starvation-used-weapon-war-gaza
- United Nations: https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/12/1145047
- BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67565872
- Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/09/emissions-gaza-israel-hamas-war-climate-change
- Multitemporal Report: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4684768
- Save The Children, Gaza Relief: https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis